Making a Solar Leaf Dryer
A. Dryer Cover
1. Make a square wooden frame one meter (39 inches) on each side. Use rot resistant wood approximately 4 cm X 4 cm (1 1/2 X 1 1/2 inches ).
2. Reinforce the corners to make sure frame stays square.
3. Stretch UV treated 6 mil polyethylene or polyester film over the frame and staple securely. Double the plastic film over on the frame so staples hold better.
4. Staple a 10 cm (4 inch) strip of dark colored open weave cloth around the outside of the cover frame. This will allow air flow but prevent insects and dust from entering the dryer.
B. Dryer Base
1. Make a square wooden frame identical to the cover frame. Stretch strong insect screen over the frame and staple securely. Double the screen over on the frame so staples hold better. Use plastic screen if possible as leaves won't stick to plastic as much as to metal screen.